Monday, February 1, 2010

Krewe de Vieux Parade, January 30

My first Mardi Gras season parade, the Krewe de Vieux!!
(based in the "Old" French Quarter)

I been in the right place! Front row on a corner in the Marigny.
("I been in the Right Place, but it must have been the wrong time.." Dr John)



This parade is unusual in that no motorized floats are allowed... only animal drawn.


The theme "Fired Up"


Sometimes interpreted as cooking politicians (and the Colts) in boiling oil...


And sometimes reflecting the crisis in leadership...






This float was from the sub-krewe of "drips and discharges"


Dr. John was the Grand Marshal of this parade, and the mood was a bit creepy.







Mayor Nagin as Nero...


sorry folks, I'm not showing this one...


I missed getting a picture of "New Orleans rises from the ashes of Katrina"...


But I did get a couple of phoenix hat shots...




Don't ask...


After a brief interlude...


A second Parade!!! The Krewe d'elusion, I think... With Harry Shearer as GM!










In normal Mardi Gras style, there were many things thrown at the crowd. I managed to get a golden dredel... and lots of beads and a few 'coins'. The clown nose came at the end.



And one float was handing out recipes! Sort of NSW for language...


Wow... that was an odd parade. Done by 8 PM, but it felt like midnight.

No comments: