Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Last Parade of Mardi Gras!

Well, all those parades... I felt very much like an observer at Carnival... But that changed on Fat Tuesday itself.



I took part in the Saint Ann's Parade... from Marigny to the French Quarter. It was nice to be something other than an observer, and I didn't care that there were no fancy doubloons being thrown.

But first, a bit of Zulu, the parade traditionally done in blackface (sort of)





Zulu started at 8 AM... and went on for a long time. I only caught one thing... a mini-frisbee. Unlike others, this parade had a sort of tailgating aspect to it... clearly a family affair, smaller in scale, and more about community.

I also caught two cups... and promptly gave one away.

I left after a few floats to catch up with my friends Dale and Dave in Faubourg Marigny (The Marigny Suburb) just outside the French Quarter. The goal was to follow a parade of home-grown costumes. If I had known better I would have created a more elegant costume. For example:

Dave got dressed up a bit...

As did a couple at their B&B... I guess they'd be house organs then? They had a small cassette player playing Bach under their frock.


Folks were gathering in Marigny, just milling around.







this is us...








He looks super!

At some point things started to move...

I bet his name is Jack...



These women were dressed as "Air Nagin" flight attendants... hoping Mayor Nagin flies away soon.


Once in the French Quarter, there was a costume competition...


Costumes are from the various balls...
This one was from a ball called "things that have vanished"
The French Opera house burned down almost a century ago.

And K&B was the local drug store chain.

By the way, the other costume was De-gas-ga a sort of combination of lady gaga and Degas.

It was a zoo in the French Quarter!


There were lots of others in line... but the crowd was a CRUSH... so we took a few snaps and split (or actually popped out of the crowd like watermelon seeds!)


Charlie, reporting from Mardi Gras!

"Merry Christmas!"

want more? Here's a pre-K view of the parade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHg7ZUtKVsU

No comments: