Thursday, February 4, 2010

Little Rascals Parade (Mardi Gras #2)

The second parade of last weekend was a parade "for children"... there were no burning bushes (see my previous post)... just good clean fun.



The parade took up one half of Veterans Blvd... the biggest road in Metairie, the first western suburb of New Orleans. The parade is more spread out, with lots of grassy median (neutral ground) to stand on... or...

This is the standard way to let kids see the parade... a ladder and a box with wheels:


The parade was at noon, so (don't tell) I didn't go to church! Instead we got a good viewing spot. Here are Robert and Shannon... waiting for the parade...


...and here I am with Shannon,


No mules pulling things here...


...Most were pulled by tractors.


Here are the King and Queen!


And I SAW HIM, I SAW HIM...


There he was, lip-synching his hit! whoever he was...


And look! Navy recruiters in a float!!
They were throwing notepads!


There were a couple of equestrian units.








some without horses...


And more floats...


The theme was bedtime stories...




These are the famous nutria of Louisiana!


Robert commented on how most of the parade was "dance teams"... girls and women dressed very suggestively.


We saw more pompoms in this parade than I knew existed on the planet.


We gave up half way through and went to IHOP for all-you-can-eat pancakes. But I did bring lots of stuff home... including one die and two krewe cups... and a real metal coin. And a cup from the Navy recruiters... They threw it right at me. Maybe they think I have another career waiting!


I kinda like the stuffed crawfish... it's a local delicacy, you know.

No comments: