Friday, January 26, 2007

Thursday... work party.

Well, I fly home Saturday, and am taking Friday off to sight-see, so this represented the last work day I had on this trip to New Orleans. It started off with the gift of jewelry..



Actually, this is a tree I passed on the way to the bus. I took the St Charles bus (they are working on re-stringing the St. Charles streetcar wires) over to Canal, then walked briskly across the French Quarter and on to ACORN.



The folks who I met yesterday were very concerned about me when I didn't show up at 7:30... of course, the bus connections were lousy, and I'm amazed I got there by 8 AM. The house was a smaller one, but also plaster, so a big crew of people were in a small area swinging crowbars. Also, the floor got covered with lath and nails... we flatted one wheelbarrow, and folks were getting lath attached to their shoe soles... definitely a boot day!

I worked on some things, but after swinging a crowbar for a while, I just had had it. Here's a picture of what the group had done by noon:



At noon we went over to St Luke Assembly of God, a church near ACORN, for a nice hot, franks and beans lunch. They had canned water, specially made by Anhauser Busch for relief and refugee use.



There we met folks from yet another relief agency, associated with the church. George mentioned that he is a plumber, so they asked him to come help them on a project Friday, while Sharon goes back to ACORN. The AofG folks seemed very well organized... better than ACORN, who are quite well organized already. It's good to see the variety of folks working to rebuild the city.

That's it for now... look for me tonight!

No comments: