Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tuesday... with a crowbar and spacesuit

Hi there, this is me:


Today I'm working with ACORN, an advocacy group with a chapter in New Orleans. They also get some of their funds from the same Unitarian Universalist fund that supports the other work I was doing. Since I'm the only one here at the moment, ACORN has adopted me.

The day started early, with a cross-town bus ride, starting right in front of the church.


Connections were awful, so I had 30 minutes at Cafe Du Monde to get coffee. Then I took the Elysian Fields bus to St. Claude where their office is. Unfortunately, the project was actually quite near me... near Louisiana St. The house was being gutted. Fortunately, it was dry inside, and gutting was easy, except for all the pink walls.



The house is pretty old, as you can see by the wiring... anybody know what the wiring method is called?



The only other ones on the bus were this couple, who are riding bikes across country from Pennsylvania to Seattle:



Here's what we did today:



And here's the very efficient sanitation folks taking it all away!



The little one got to pick up the scraps:


All gone!


And I should get to sleep... another early day tomorrow. ACORN works from 8 AM to 2:30 PM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats to Nick, who successfully recognized knob-and-tube wiring... with ceramic tubes to take wires through beams!